The reproductive system in women is incredibly complex. This is why there are specialists that are dedicated to helping with various concerns that impact women. Urogynecology is a field of reproductive health that focuses on more common issues such as prolapse conditions and incontinence. Women with pelvic floor disorders and incontinence may be referred to a urogynecologist for further evaluation and assistance, thanks to their unique experience in this field of medicine.
What services are provided by a urogynecologist?
Below are a few of the treatments and services provided by the urogynecologists at Premier OB/GYN in Bradenton, Florida:
- Female incontinence – many women deal with incontinence, which causes leaking of the bladder or rectum. These conditions can be embarrassing, but with proper diagnosis and treatments, many women rebuild their self-confidence.
- Pelvic prolapse – pelvic floor disorders and prolapse of the organs cause a variety of issues that may lead a woman to seek diagnosis and treatment.
- Urodynamic testing – urodynamic testing is a method of looking at the bladder and urethra to determine the ability for them to store and release urine. This is done to determine if a patient has urinary incontinence and, if so, how severe it is.
- Pelvic floor therapies – physical therapy and other options are available for patients who have pelvic floor disorders. With a proper evaluation and diagnosis, women will often be able to find a treatment that works for them.
- Bladder slings – bladder slings can be used with certain varieties of urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse. Discussing this treatment with a urogynecologist is a great way to learn more about bladder slings and determine if it is right for you.
A patient may be referred to a urogynecologist if they are experiencing incontinence or pelvic floor disorders to ensure women have access to a specialist that offers added expertise in this area of care.
Schedule a visit with a urogynecologist today
At Premier OB/GYN, we understand the complexities of pelvic floor disorders and other conditions that can be impacting your reproductive and vaginal health. Our doctors are available at 5323 4th Avenue for new and established patients who call for appointments at (941) 745-5115.