At Premier OB/GYN, we offer women a selection of birth control options to choose from if they choose to not start or expand their family just yet. This includes a variety of intrauterine devices, or IUDs, that can help in preventing pregnancy. One popularly requested IUD used to avoid pregnancy is that of Mirena.
What is Mirena?
Mirena is a hormone-based IUD that is inserted into the uterus. It remains in place for several years, administering the right level of hormones into the body to prevent conception. It is a popular option for women who do not want to utilize condoms with their significant others or who don’t want to worry about remembering to take a pill daily to prevent pregnancy. Mirena has been used successfully for women as one method of birth control, and it can be combined with others for a higher success rate (for example, condom usage with IUD).
What are the pros and cons of IUDs?
There are many advantages and disadvantages that come with IUDs, including the Mirena version.
- You can’t feel the IUD when it has been inserted, and it can remain in place for several years
- It can be removed when you are interested in starting or expanding your family
- It can be easily checked at home by feeling for a string in the cervix
- It has a 99% efficacy rate, meaning a very slim chance of conceiving while used
- You can be more spontaneous with sex without having to worry about pregnancy
- It is low maintenance, being left in the uterus for several years before removal and/or replacement
- It needs to be inserted by an OB/GYN specialist
- It does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases
- It may slip out of place
- Some women may experience side effects such as unusual vaginal discharge or heavy menstrual bleeding
Ready to learn more about the Mirena IUD?
Bradenton, FL area patients interested in Mirena or other birth control options are encouraged to book a visit with our team at Premier OB/GYN to discuss solutions. Call (941) 745-5115 to request an appointment at 5323 4th Avenue. We are open to new and returning women ready to work with our team to improve their reproductive health.