The Mirena® IUD is a unique birth control device that is inserted into the uterus to prevent pregnancy. It is a long-acting, reversible form of contraception that is over 99% effective in preventing pregnancy. The Mirena IUD can remain in the uterus for up to 5 years and then removed by a healthcare provider when you want to become pregnant or need to replace it. It is a popular option for many women, but like any medical device or treatment, it comes with both pros and cons. The team at Premier OB/GYN in Bradenton, FL, can educate you further on the advantages and disadvantages of using an IUD as a method of birth control.
Pros of the Mirena IUD
There are several advantages to using the Mirena IUD as your method of birth control, including:
- It is a highly effective and affordable form of contraception with a failure rate of less than 1%.
- It is a long-acting option for birth control, so you do not have to remember to take a birth control pill each day or proactively replace a patch or ring every month.
- It does not interfere with sexual intercourse.
- It is a reversible type of birth control, so you can become pregnant as soon as it is removed.
Cons of the Mirena IUD
There are also a few disadvantages to using the Mirena IUD, including:
- It requires a visit to a healthcare provider for insertion and removal.
- There is always a slight risk of infection or other complications associated with insertion and removal.
- It may result in irregular bleeding and spotting in the first few months after insertion.
- It may cause heavier or longer periods in some women.
Knowing the pros and cons of the Mirena IUD is the best way to make an educated decision on whether or not it is right for you. The healthcare providers at Premier OB/GYN of Bradenton, FL, can talk to you about this birth control method so you can feel at ease when considering it as an option. Call 941-745-5115 to request an appointment with our team and learn more about birth control options readily available at our practice with our experienced doctors.